Donald Trump has raged at the US Supreme Court striking down his global tarriffs, branding the verdict a « disgrace. » CNN’s Kaitlain Collins posted on X: « President Trump commented on the Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs while inside the White House breakfast with governors this morning, calling it a ‘disgrace,’ I’m told.
« He told those gathered that he has a backup plan. » The Supreme Court rules on Friday that the US president exceeded his authority when imposing the sweeping tariffs, using a law reserved for a national emergency. They were struck down under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
Trump called the ruling a « disgrace » after being informed of it during a meeting with governors and maintained he had a backup plan, a person familiar with his reaction told NBC News.
The Supreme Court Ruling was authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, who said the Trump administration « points to no statute » in which Congress has previously said that the language in IEEPA could apply to tariffs.
He added: « The president asserts the extraordinary power to unilaterally impose tariffs of unlimited amount, duration and scope… We hold that IEEPA does not authorise the president to impose tariffs. »
*** Ensure our latest news headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings. ***
The three liberal justices, Ketanji Brown Jackson, Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor, joined by three conservative justices, Amy Coney Barrett, Neil Gorsuch and John Roberts, voted to strike down the tariffs.
Justices Brett Kavanaugh, Samuel Alito and Clarence Thomas dissented.
However, the decision does not affect the sector‑specific tariffs Trump has separately placed on imports of steel, aluminum, and other products. Ongoing formal investigations that could result in additional targeted tariffs are still underway.
Source link

