Top Stories

Crisis day that rocked the royals – from Andrew’s arrest to King Charles’s statement | Royal | News

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested at about 8am on Thursday (Image: Getty)

The King spoke of his “deepest concern” after learning that  his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested on Thursday morning and said “the law must take its course”. In a statement released less than two hours after Thames Valley Police confirmed the disgraced former prince’s arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office, the 77-year-old monarch said the force had its “full and wholehearted support and co-operation”.

Andrew was taken into custody on his 66th birthday on Thursday, following allegations made against the former prince after the release of millions of pages of files related to paedophile financier Jeffrey Epstein. The former Duke of York, who vehemently denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, is the first senior royal in modern history to be arrested.

In response to the arrest, the King said: « I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office.

King Charles III Opens London Fashion Week

King Charles attended a show at London Fashion Week this afternoon (Image: Getty Images)

« What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course. »

He added: “My family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Today, the King was front and centre at London Fashion Week and conducted three separate in-person audiences at St James’s Palace. Meanwhile, the Queen attended a lunchtime concert in Westminster.

It is understood neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of the arrest. The Prince and Princess of Wales, who are enjoying the half-term break with their three children, are understood to support the King’s statement.

BRITAIN-US-ROYAL-EPSTEIN-ANDREW

A policeman stands at an entrance to Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk (Image: AFP via Getty)

Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

Andrew is understood to have been arrested at Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate around 8am on Thursday. 

Six unmarked police vehicles were pictured arriving at the property, where Andrew is temporarily living after his exile from Royal Lodge in Windsor, early yesterday morning. Around eight plain-clothed officers were seen attending the property, with one officer seen carrying a police-issue laptop. 

One of the cars drove down the front drive and the other five went in the back entrance to the five-bedroom farmhouse in the village of Wolferton. That property, as well as his former home at Windsor Great Park, continues to be searched by police.

Andrew moved to the secluded Wood Farm, a home loved by the late Prince Philip who spent much of his retirement there, at the start of the month. He will eventually move to Marsh Farm once the renovations are complete.

Sandringham police

Police arrived at Wood Farm early this morning (Image: Ian Vogler / Daily Mirror)

Emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.

Thames Valley Police said that a man in his 60s from Norfolk in eastern England was arrested and remained in custody. The force, which covers areas west of London, including Andrew’s former home, did not identify the suspect, in line with legal procedures, but pointed to its statement when asked to confirm if Andrew was arrested.

Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: « Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time. »

Andrew Mounbatten-Windsor - Epstein files scandal

Police are also searching Andrew’s former home, Royal Lodge (Image: PA)

The King’s brother is effectively no longer a royal, becoming a commoner after he was stripped by the monarch of both his right to be a prince and his dukedom in October last year over his association with Epstein. He does, however, remain in the line of succession and is currently eight in line to the throne. 

According to the Crown Prosecution Service’s (CPS) website, misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment. A suspect can generally be held in custody for up to 24 hours, but this can be extended to 96 hours if an extension is sought at a magistrates’ court. When the custody time limit has expired, the majority of suspects are either charged or released pending further investigation.

A number of police forces across the UK are assessing information released as part of the Epstein files document dump.
Officers from Surrey, Bedfordshire, Essex, Norfolk, the West Midlands, Wiltshire and Scotland have all said they are reviewing information.

The National Crime Agency said on Wednesday that it was supporting UK forces in their Epstein files probes.


Source link