While Amorim is understood to have pocketed approximately £12million in compensation following his departure, fresh reports from the Mail suggest he has also spared himself a substantial sum in rental costs. The 41-year-old was reportedly shelling out £15,000-per-month for a lavish six-bedroom property in Cheshire valued at £1.2m throughout his time in charge. With a tenancy agreement running until June 2027, Amorim faced the prospect of spending over £250,000 on the residence which would have sat vacant following his exit from United.
However, he managed to invoke a break clause that had been included in April, meaning he can return the keys whilst writing off roughly £45,000 in rent. The former United boss was last photographed outside the gated property after his dismissal, as he and his wife, Maria, were seen taking a stroll together.
This development emerges as Gary Neville criticised Amorim’s choice not to deploy Kobbie Mainoo during his spell in charge earlier this week. The 20-year-old midfielder didn’t make a single Premier League starting appearance this season prior to Amorim’s sacking, yet has become a consistent presence in Carrick’s midfield throughout four victories and one draw to date.
Mainoo’s latest displays have prompted Neville to question whether Amorim’s unwillingness to utilise the midfielder played a part in his Old Trafford departure. Speaking on Stick to Football, he said: « Kobbie Mainoo didn’t even get a chance under Ruben, really. If you think about it now and look at Mainoo in this team, that looks like the worst decision Ruben Amorim made. »
He added: « I must admit, I never liked the handling of Mainoo. I think we talked about that a lot on this show. I never liked the handling of that. When he [Amorim] said at the start of the season that it was him or Bruno [Fernandes], I never agreed with that. It killed Kobbie Mainoo. It killed him publicly, and then he never put him in the team at all, apart from against Grimsby in the [League] Cup. »
Carrick has made his mark during a brief but remarkably successful spell so far, securing wins over Manchester City, Arsenal, Fulham and Tottenham Hotspur, alongside a draw with West Ham. United’s next fixture sees them travel to Hill Dickinson Stadium on Monday to face Everton. A victory there might not propel the Reds beyond fourth in the league table, but it would edge them closer to securing a Champions League spot for 2026/27.
Ensure our latest sport headlines always appear at the top of your Google Search by making us a Preferred Source. Click here to activate or add us as Preferred Source in your Google search settings.
Source link

